Thursday, February 12, 2015

Weekend Getaway


The calming breeze of the ocean waves and the sun beating down on my face is definitely my definition of peace. Due to the fact that I am not a person that enjoys the cold weather in any circumstance, planning a trip to Florida was the greatest thing I could possibly imagine. 

I love the sunshine, relaxing, and it was a perfect excuse to go on a vacation. Although this was a long weekend I felt as though it was not long enough, however it was still enjoyable. Boarding the plane on a chilly early morning I knew I would not miss New York whatsoever. Shortly arriving in Naples, Florida, I knew I was right. 

There was so much time I had to spend time with my boyfriend and we loved being in an environment that was carefree. Most nights, my boyfriend and I went to dinner and spent our days by the pool or at the beach. I would not mind moving there at all, but I know my whole life is in New York. Until the next chance I get, I will visiting Florida again.


Vocabulary

Circumstance (n.) A fact connected to an event or action. 

Imagine (v.) To form a mental image. 

Relaxing (v.) To release tension. 

Excuse (v.)  To seek release for oneself. 

Boarding (v.) To enter a form of transportation. 

Environment (n.) The social and cultural forces that form the life of a person.


Vocabulary Exercise 
Choose the correct vocabulary word for each sentence.

1. There are many things you can do in your everyday life to protect the __________ such as recycling.

2. Passengers on the boat will need a __________ pass.

3. You are not, under any __________ allowed to be late for class o use your cell phone.

4. __________ in warm weather  and being gently massaged relieves anxiety and helps aching muscles.

5. Whenever he did not complete his homework, he found an _________ of why it was incomplete.

6. She could not ___________ failing the test when she studied all week.


Grammar Point:

Comma (,)

The comma is the most frequently used type of punctuation used within a sentence. It indicates a short pause and helps make the meaning clearer to the reader. It is essential that you use commas in your writing. Commas separate adjectives or adverbs that are being used next to each other in a sentence. 
 Example: It was Friday already so the students, looking forward to a break, were working hard to complete their exercise today.

Place the commas in the correct spot. 

1. The puppies were cute but very messy.  
2. For most the year has already finished.
3. Outside the lawn was cluttered with tons of broken branches. 
4. I need to go to the store and pick up some eggs milk and bread. 

1 comment:

  1. I like that you pointed out commas in your grammar point. They are so often forgotten or used incorrectly. It is great for ELLs to learn how to use them.

    ReplyDelete