Monday, February 23, 2015

The Last Game


     Ice hockey? Ehh... I'm not really a fan, nor do I enjoy watching it. Saturday would be my little sisters last home game so I decided to go and support her. She was determined to win and defeat the Brewster Bulldogs. Any time I would go to a game, I would get cold, but this time I came prepared and wore tons of clothes. Although I think I will never become familiar with the terminology of the game, I enjoyed this one, as it meant so much to everyone.

     In he beginning of the game, my sister’s team, the Gulls, scored right away. After that, they seemed rather slow and no one understood why they were skating so poorly. All of a sudden the Bulldogs scored a goal and they were tied! Then as the game came closer to an end, the Bulldogs scored again but for the wrong team and everyone was shocked! The Gulls scored one last goal after all their hard work and won the game! The audience was cheering and I was proud of my sister. She did an amazing job and did he best she could. From this point, I can see myself getting more involved in her games!

Vocabulary

Motivated (v.) Interest or enthusiasm for doing something
Defeated (n.) the act of overcoming in a contest
Prepared (adj.) properly organized, ready
Terminology (n.) the system of terms belonging to a specialized subject
Shocked (n.) a sudden commotion, surprised
Audience (n.) a group of listeners or viewers at an event

Vocabulary exercise 

Complete the crossword puzzle using the six vocabulary words! 

Grammar point:
What is an exclamation point? (!)
An exclamation point is a punctuation mark used to show a forceful way of speaking or a strong feeling. The exclamation mark adds drama into a sentence and does not make it flat. 
Example: I can't believe they won! 

In this short passage, place an exclamation point where you think it belongs. 

"Watch out" said the boy. The boy noticed a car was coming and Lisa was not even paying attention. "Wow thank you" said Lisa. "I cannot believe I forgot look both ways before crossing the street. Lisa was so happy she had a friend that was always looking out for her. 


No comments:

Post a Comment